Tuesday, October 17, 2017

It's a soup night!

David and I have been trying to lower the number of carbs we eat and we have discovered some very tasty dishes! Lately, the Dallas weather has actually been just chilly enough that we have used the excuse to make soup at least one night each week. Tonight, we made a fish chowder that was super good!



One of my favorite things about this chowder is that, like most chowders, you can really drop whatever you feel like into it. I'll post the recipe I used for tonight's chowder, but feel free to mix it up with different kinds of seafood or other veggies!

I usually use tilapia or cod in this but tonight I didn't have any, so I used imitation crab instead (which is usually pollock or some other kind of whitefish, so it worked). If you are trying to keep processed foods out of your lineup, you probably won't choose that route!

I used flour to thicken the soup, but I think I would change that next time around. The net carbs on this dish is 16, which isn't too bad, but I think I could have gotten it lower. Also, if you are looking for lower calories, you could double the evaporated milk instead of using the heavy cream.

Here is the recipe for tonight's soup - enjoy and let me know how yours goes!

Fish Chowder

320 calories per serving, 8 servings
16 net carbs

Ingredients:


2 T. butter
1 large onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
4 medium white mushrooms, chopped
4 cups fat-free chicken broth
8 oz. imitation crab meat (or white fish)
12 oz. cooked salad shrimp (or other seafood)
6.5 oz. can chopped clams
1/4 tsp. Old Bay TM seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can evaporated milk
12 oz. heavy cream
1 large head cauliflower, diced and steamed (if you want this in a hurry)
8 oz. clam juice
1/2 cup flour
2 oz. bacon pieces (optional)

Steps:

  1. Melt butter in stock pot. Add diced onions, celery, and mushrooms and saute until soft.
  2. Add chicken broth. Heat on medium for 2 minutes.
  3. Add seafood and seasonings. Stir. Simmer for 10 minutes.
  4. Add milk, heavy cream, and cauliflower. Stir. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
  5. Combine clam juice and flour in shaker. Pour into stockpot and stir.
  6. Heat until thickened and hot throughout.
Enjoy!





No comments: